Saturday, August 3, 2013

Weekends

Another day in the hospital and it's the dreaded weekend!

Weekends in the hospital are bad. Summer weekends in the hospital are worse. Yesterday we had to wait 37 minutes for someone to come after we rang the call button three times!


At least there is nice artwork to look at on the walls. This time Dad is in the Jasper John Hallway.  I actually saw Jasper John's work when I visited MoMA this past Spring. 

Dad had no significant updates today. It's the weekend after all and unless something critical needs to be done, nothing gets done. It makes for a very boring day. 

My cousin Steve drove my Mom back in to Boston this morning and visited with Dad. I caught up on a little sleep then did a little laundry. 

Today was a day I was looking forward to all summer. My friends Marci and Brian have a BIG Luau every year and I haven't been able to go for the past few years. This year I was determined to make it by hook or by crook. It was so great to see everyone. There are so many people who I hung out with in our CYC group growing up and it is always fun to catch up with everyone. It's fun to see how big their kids get and how grown up they all are. I wore my Hawaiian dress that I wore at the Luau I went to in Hawaii!


This is the pattern on the dress :)



Michael "Toby" Tobas is a steel drum and percussionist that they hire to play authentic calypso music every year for the Luau. He is awesome. He played with Harry Belafonte and toured internationally with Mr. Belafonte for five years (1972-1977). Toby appeared on two recordings with Harry Belafonte: "Turn the World around" and "Belafonte live in Japan". Here's a video clip of him playing.


Toby is such a nice guy and hung out for a little bit afterwards with us for the festivities.


They had contests, games and prizes all day long. They also had three huge blow up houses, a bounce house, water park and baseball pitching tent. In the back of the barn they have a basketball court that the kids played on all day too. Their dog Murphy (in the middle of the corn hole game) wanted to play too. Mostly he just lounged :)


The food was amazing and very creative too! These were two parrots made from pineapples!

I just got home a little while ago and Kerry and the kids are having a sleepover again tonight. I love waking up in the morning with the kids, having breakfast, making coffee and playing the morning away :) 

Tomorrow I am going to head into Boston to visit so I will have more updates if there are any. 

Thanks so much to everyone who continues to support us and keeps Dad in their thoughts and prayers. He still needs them so keep 'em comin'

Until tomorrow,

Laurie




No comments:

Post a Comment