Friday, August 16, 2013

"The Beans" As They Call Them In The Biz

Today Dad had the kidney biopsy he had been waiting for.


This is Dad's IV Pole. He has a photo of the girls taped to it, a reminder of home and that he will be home again soon.

I drove in today after work. The last thing I asked my boss before I left..."hey Ted, is there a Red Sox game today?" Oh yeah, Sox and Yankees, why? Oh...right, you better get going the game starts at 7:05! So I got going cruised right in no problem until I got off at the Fenway exit...OMG it took 26 minutes to go maybe a quarter of a mile. It was nuts...people in the street looking to buy tickets "Hey Buddy get out of the way! some of us have places we need to go!" I screamed as I drove past the idiot who jumped out in from of my car and the car next to me! My windows were closed so he probably didn't hear me say that and a few other choice phrases to unkind to post. 

Dad had the biopsy today. It wasn't at 12 like they said because he had breakfast. They told him he could...so he did. When the renal team came in they told him he needed to fast so they pushed the procedure up until 2. Well we all know how that goes, he didn't go until way after that. When I got there at 5:30 he was just getting back to the room. He looked good. Color was good and he said it wasn't bad at all. He did say the positioning was uncomfortable because he had to lay on his right side with his arm above his head for a long time. He was suppose to have the Mini Hickman port put in at the same time as well but Dad and the doctors decided to push it off. He had had enough for one day.

We won't get the results of the tests back for at least 4 days and it is the dreaded weekend so things do not happen fast on the weekends :(

Dad couldn't drink for two hours and couldn't eat for 6 so to pass the time we played "Smart Ass" the game we started yesterday. 


Mom tried to take a picture of us playing the game but either Dad or I were not in the picture. So I took this one myself. What you don't know is the conversation going on behind me,...Mom: Do you want me to pull the TV down so you can see the game better?...Dad: yeah when they start winnin I will let ya know so you can pull it down. 

I decided to play the Smart Ass game like a Smart Ass so I came up with a new rule

Everytime Dad answered a question right I took off one of the "asses" (in his defense this was the beginning of the game, he did manage to clear all of the "asses" by the end of the game)

The good news was his kidney function numbers did improve ever so slightly and that is a great thing. As long as they are making progress that is ok by me. Slow and steady win the race. 

Monday he will have the Mini Hickman port put in and that will allow the visiting nurse to be able to administer the IV antibiotics at home once he comes home. Like his doctor said we don't mean to make you a prisoner of the hospital but we want to make sure everything is in check so you can continue with the home therapy. 

I kidnapped Mom and brought her home for a few nights. She needs to get some rest and just be able to be outside in the nice weather. It will be good for her. I wish Dad could get a weekend pass too and that we could take him back on Monday instead of having to stay there :( Hopefully he won't be there much longer and we won't have to worry about going back and forth. 

Thanks to everyone who continues to support us on this journey to better health. I am very thankful for everything we have been offered and that we have received. We could not do this if it weren't for the support of our family and friends. Thanks especially to those who keep thinking of Mom too. I feel like she is just as much a patient as Dad for she has been there as long as he has (minus all the rotten poking and prodding of course) The cards, lunches, visits, phone calls, e-mails, facebook posts etc have made it easier for her to cope with all of this. I know if she could blog she would thank you herself, so I will thank everyone for her as well. 

We have come a long way in the last three weeks! Hopefully now Dad will feel stronger and better than ever when he gets home!

Until Tomorrow,

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment